Monday, April 25, 2011

Dawn of the Neighborhood High-Tech Age

My friends 12 foot wide Satellite Dish
       When I first saw this huge dish , I knew that the New Age had arrived. The age in which one can reach out to more TV stations than ever before. Any language you wanted and even commercial free. Still you had to wait a few minutes while the commercial was playing to the regular TV audience, but that was OK since many times you could see what was going on during the commercials. My friend's wife could even see her Soap-Operas one day in advance and then tell her friends how she thought things were going to turn out. They must have thought she was Clairvoyant.
What I liked was a show called "The Shelby Lyman Show". It was all about Chess and was broadcast by PBS TV WNET New York. Shelby had a few Grandmasters on to help anaylize the World Chess Championship between Gary Kasparov and Anatoli Karpov in 1985. To me this show was like having beer come out of your faucett at home. Me and my friend Gary probably saw every game of that championship on his satellite dish, plus some great movies. But soon they started scrambling the signals so Gary had to pay a fee if he wanted to watch certain shows. It became cheaper to just buy cable TV. I don't know where that dish is today,but it sure was fun watching that dish move back n forth.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah that sucked when they started scrambling the channels

    ReplyDelete